Thigh lift surgery (also known as Thighplasty) is a procedure that involves the removal of excess fat and skin from either the outer or inner thighs, providing better-proportioned contours of the lower body.
This procedure is often advisable after bariatric or substantial weight loss. Subsequently, it may be used as an adjunct to Liposuction surgery for recontouring the inner thigh.
If you are considering undergoing this surgery, doctors recommend that you have a steady weight for at least six months. In Addition, you should have already achieved your goal weight so that weight fluctuations will not interfere with the result of the surgery.
Ideal applicants for calf implant surgery may include:
- People who cannot enhance the appearance of their thighs with diet and exercise
- People who have excess skin on their thighs due to weight loss
- Persons with excess soft tissue along the inner (medial) and/or the outer (lateral) thigh
- People who want to have a more proportional contour and so a firmer look on their thighs
- People who do not have medical conditions that impair healing or increase the risk of surgery
Thigh lift surgery typically takes around two hours.
You can leave the hospital usually one day after the procedure.
You can expect to be back at work or pursue your daily activities within two weeks.
Above all, A full recovery from the calf implant surgery can be seen after six months.
Potential Risks and Side Effects:
Thigh lift surgery may have fewer risks compared with other surgeries. However, same as with any surgery, this procedure carries some side effects. These include:
- Adverse reaction to anesthesia
- Hematoma or seroma (the accumulation of fluid or blood under the skin that may need removal)
- Bleeding and infection
- Changes in sensation
- Allergic reactions
- Unsatisfactory results that may require additional surgery
In conclusion, your risk for complications may increase if you smoke, have inadequate physical activity, or an unhealthy diet. Moreover, you can minimize some risks by following the instructions of your board-certified surgeon, both before and after the surgery.
What Are the Different Thigh Lift Procedures Available?
There are different kinds of treatment depending on your problem area.
Medial Thigh Lift:
This procedure targets the inner thigh area. An incision is made where the pubic area meets the thigh. Then, excess fat and skin are excised along the inner aspect of the thigh, giving contour to the area and tightening the skin.
Lateral Thigh Lift:
This is a more complex procedure that targets the exterior and front thigh area. To clarify, the incisions will extend from the groin or around the hip, depending on lateral thigh lift requirements. After that, a portion of the skin is removed, and the remaining skin is tightened and attached to the incision area.